I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how to build a great classic wardrobe – ESPECIALLY on a budget.
I’m not surprised because:
a) classic pieces never go out of style
b) you can buy better wardrobe pieces, less often…which
c) helps keep costs of being fabulous down…and
d) classic pieces can form the ‘fashion canvas’ for almost any other style personality out there.
SOooooooo …here are my top 10 CLASSIC pieces you just gotta own.
And by the way – to purchase ALL of these pieces = $473.94 (or $40/month for 1 year) – BARGAIN & good quality!
1. The Dark Denim Jacket – Perfect replacement for a blazer or cardigan and goes over everything from cute tops and pants to dresses and skirts.
Old Navy – $34.95 (on sale now for 25% off = $24.50)
2. Black Pencil Skirt – emphasizes every shape and brings a subtle sexiness (yet professionalism) to your work wardrobe. Add some librarian glasses your husband or boyfriend (or girlfriend*) might not let you make it out the door in the morning.
Banana Republic – Stretch Pencil Skirt – reg $85 (on sale now for $59.99)
3. Crisp White Shirt – this is such an elegant look no matter what you pair it with. I especially love it with a big chunky necklace but you do what works for you!
The Gap – reg $49.50 (on sale now for $39.99)
4. Dark Grey (Ideally Pin Stripe) Suit – a business staple that you can mix and match with your entire wardrobe, including the brown boots below. Dress the jacket down with some dark-wash, straight-leg denim or change your suit look up by having your black pencil skirt step in for your bottom half.
Jacket reg $195 (on sale now online for $75!!!)
Pants reg $95 (on sale now online for only $29.99!!!)
5. A Pair of either Red and/or Animal Print Heels (zebra, leopard or snake skin) – this may seem a bit out of place (were you expecting black?). Most people don’t think about animal print as being classic but because most of the rest of classic pieces are neutral oriented and monochromatic, it’s an unexpected pop to see some pattern or texture below the ankle.
Nine West (on sale now $41.50)
Nine West (via Sterling) $129
6. Basic scoop neck (or U neck) T (preferably in a colour other than grey – think burgundy or rust or purple)- can be worn under the suit or with the black pencil skirt. Think black pencil skirt, T and Jean jacket with animal print shoes – ZOWIE! Scoop necklines are the most flattering because they elongate the neckline but compliment the angles of of the lapels on your jacket better than a v-neck. In most cases you’ll want to go with short sleeves just in case you want to remove your jacket.
The Gap – favourite scoop neck T – on sale now for $14.99
7. A Wrap Dress – this dress style flatters practically anyone because it creates an hourglass shape by bringing attention to the waist and the wrap creates a natural v-neck that makes you look long and lean.
Banana Republic “Gemma” Wrap Dress reg $124 (on sale now for only $64!!!)
H&M Shirt Dress in Olive (also available in red & beige) $39
9. Brown Tall Boots – these are fabulous because you can wear them with pants, under the suit or with either of the two dresses above. You’ll get tons of wear out of these – just shoot for a leather pair and you won’t be sorry.
INC “Hans” All Leather Brown Boot (via Gotham City Shoes site) reg $200 (on sale now for $65.99!!)
Old Navy V-Neck Cardigan – Reg $22.50 – on sale now for $18.99!
Oooooooh. Now I’m inspired. In fact, I just tried on those snake skin Nine West shoes today. Gotta start saving my pennies!